hourly wage lawyer Washington DC

Your overtime pay makes a huge difference – but if your employer doesn’t pay up, you’ll need to contact a Washington DC hourly wage lawyer. Here are some steps you can take if you find yourself in this situation, ensuring your rights are protected and you receive the wages you deserve.

Understand Your Rights

The first step is to understand your rights under the Fair Labor Standards Act (FLSA). The FLSA requires employers to pay eligible employees one and a half times their regular hourly rate for any hours worked over 40 in a workweek. However, not all employees are eligible for overtime pay. It’s important to determine whether you are classified as an exempt or non-exempt employee. Non-exempt employees are entitled to overtime pay, while exempt employees, such as certain professionals, executives, and administrative workers, are not.

Review Your Employment Agreement

Take a close look at your employment agreement and any company policies related to overtime. These documents should outline how overtime is calculated and paid. Understanding your employer’s policies can help you identify any discrepancies between what is stated and what you are experiencing.

Keep Detailed Records

Maintaining detailed records of your work hours is crucial. Keep track of the hours you work each day, including any overtime. Record the dates, start and end times, and total hours worked. This documentation will serve as important evidence if you need to pursue a claim against your employer. Additionally, save any emails, messages, or notes that pertain to your work hours and overtime.

Discuss The Issue With Your Employer

Before taking legal action, try addressing the issue directly with your employer. Schedule a meeting with your supervisor or HR department to discuss your concerns. Present your records and explain the discrepancy between the hours worked and the compensation received. Sometimes, payroll errors or misunderstandings can be resolved through open communication.

File A Complaint With The Department Of Labor

If discussing the issue with your employer does not resolve the problem, you can file a complaint with the Wage and Hour Division of the U.S. Department of Labor (DOL). The DOL can investigate your claim and determine whether your employer has violated the FLSA. To file a complaint, you will need to provide information about your employer, your job duties, and the hours you worked. 

Consider Legal Action

If filing a complaint with the DOL does not lead to a satisfactory resolution, you may need to consider legal action. Consulting with an attorney who specializes in employment law can provide you with guidance on how to proceed. Attorneys like those at Eric Siegel Law can help you understand your options and represent you in legal proceedings. Taking legal action can help you recover unpaid wages and potentially secure additional compensation for damages.

We’re Here To Help

No one should have to work overtime without fair compensation. If your employer refuses to pay you for the overtime hours you’ve worked, it’s important to take action to protect your rights and secure the wages you deserve.

At Eric Siegel Law, we’re ready to use our over 30 years of legal experience to help you fight for your rights. If you’re dealing with unpaid overtime, contact us today for a consultation.