hourly wage lawyer Washington DC

A Washington DC hourly wage lawyer can help you deal with unpaid overtime and get the compensation you deserve. If your employer is not paying you the overtime wages you are entitled to, it’s important to know that you have legal options to recover those unpaid wages. Here, we’ll outline the steps you can take to ensure you receive the compensation you deserve.

Understanding Your Rights Under The FLSA

The Fair Labor Standards Act (FLSA) sets the federal standards for overtime pay. According to the FLSA, non-exempt employees must be paid one and a half times their regular hourly rate for any hours worked over 40 in a workweek. While some employees are classified as exempt and do not qualify for overtime pay, most hourly workers and some salaried workers are eligible. 

Keep Detailed Records

One of the most important steps you can take if you believe you are not being paid properly for overtime is to keep detailed records of your work hours. Document the hours you work each day, including the start and end times, as well as any breaks you take. Additionally, keep copies of your pay stubs, employment contract, and any communication with your employer regarding your hours and pay. These records will serve as crucial evidence if you need to file a claim.

Speak To Your Employer

Before taking legal action, consider discussing the issue with your employer. There may be a simple explanation for the discrepancy, such as a payroll error. Approach your employer calmly and provide them with the records you have kept. Explain the situation and ask for the unpaid overtime to be corrected. In many cases, employers are willing to rectify mistakes without the need for further action.

File A Complaint With The Department Of Labor

If speaking to your employer does not resolve the issue, you can file a complaint with the Wage and Hour Division of the U.S. Department of Labor (DOL). The DOL investigates complaints of unpaid wages and can take action to recover unpaid overtime on your behalf. To file a complaint, you will need to provide information about your employer, your job duties, and the hours you worked. The DOL will review your complaint and may conduct an investigation into your employer’s practices.

Consider Legal Action

If filing a complaint with the DOL does not lead to a resolution, or if you prefer to take a more direct approach, you can consider filing a lawsuit against your employer. Consulting with an attorney who specializes in employment law is a crucial step in this process. An attorney can help you understand your rights, assess the strength of your case, and represent you in court if necessary.

Contact Us Today

Recovering unpaid overtime can be a complex and challenging process, but it’s important to remember that you have legal options to ensure you are fairly compensated for your work. By keeping detailed records, discussing the issue with your employer, and considering legal action if necessary, you can take the steps needed to recover the wages you are owed.

If you’re dealing with unpaid overtime, you need a team with plenty of familiarity with employment law. Fortunately, we have over 30 years of experience. Contact Eric Siegel Law today for a consultation.