Yes. In the state of Washington DC, most employees fall under at will employees and this means that you could be fired for a reason whether that reason is good or bad, but you can also be fired for no reason at all. But if your termination is breaking an employment contract or otherwise violates the law, then you are able to sue your employer for wrongful termination. There are many complex federal statutes, local laws and even court decisions that are involved in the employee protection from wrongful termination and other employment litigation; speaking with your employment litigation lawyer in Washington DC is one way to learn about all of these things and how they might affect your case.
What must I have to sue my employer and win?
If you are suing your employer, you must prove that they have acted illegally. Need to understand your rights as an employee to be able to determine where your employer acted illegally.
What is my lawyer looking for?
Your employment litigation lawyer in Washington DC is going to look at the list below, among other things, to determine whether there is a possibility that you were acted against due to anything on this list. They are going to be looking for proof that an employer broke a federal law involving anything below:
- If you believe you were fired, demoted, moved to another position, or anything regarding your race.
- If you believe that your sex and gender have a role in the actions that your employer has taken against you.
- If you believe that your employer has taken action against you for your religious beliefs.
- If you believe that you were acted against for sexual harassment reporting, or if you are sexually harassed by your employer.
- If you believe that retaliating against something is done to you as led to your employer acting illegally.
- If your employer has failed to pay overtime wages that you have earned.
- Or if your employer has failed to give adequate breaks to the employee as described under federal law.
How do I know if I have been harassed or discriminated against?
All workplace harassment and discrimination is not obvious, if you do not know what you’re looking for it can be difficult to tell if your rights are violated. And this is where you would trust your employment litigation lawyer in Washington DC to be able to help you. Typically if your boss or supervisor is requesting sexual favors for a promotion or a raise then you can consider that harassment; if your coworkers create a hostile environment because they are making comments or jokes based on your appearance, sex, religion, age, disability or other physical or spiritual beliefs; or if you are passed over for a job or a raise because of your sex, race, disability or other physical or spiritual belief.
If you are employed in America, then you are likely not totally aware of your rights. Or perhaps you are aware of your rights but you are not sure how to tell when you are being discriminated against or otherwise need to hire an employment litigation lawyer in Washington DC such as the ones available at Eric Siegel Law. That’s okay because this FAQ is going to answer some of the most common questions that you may ask regarding employment law.